My writing connects quickly with readers
Hire me if you need:
- articles for your publications, newsletters or website
- help with writing or editing text for your website
- how-to articles, help files or training manuals
- information or training about the Internet
- training on how to use a WordPress website
- customised training courses
- a speaker about writing, technology or the Internet
My strengths and interests
Writing, training, speaking, plain language, technology
- plain language
- technology and science
- Apple computers, devices and software
- Valid and accessible HTML and CSS
I’m based in Wellington, New Zealand.
Examples of recent work:
See my Portfolio for a complete list.
- Tech Universe column for the NZ Herald Online
- Monthly Panui Tips for community organisations
- Informit interview: HTML5: The 900-Page Gorilla with a Wide Ensemble.
- Informit interview: Up Late with CSS3, and Loving It!
- In 2010 I ran a series of customised training courses for Wellington Regional Council, teaching community organisations and taxi operators how to work with the new Snapper-based Total Mobility Card.
- At the 2010 CreativeTech conference I presented a session of 50 Mac Tips in 50 minutes.
- In August 2010 I wrote ‘Developing a Website’ for a Department of Internal Affairs publication (35,000 words).
- In July 2010 I rewrote Chapter 12 of the Community Resource Kit, for the Department of Internal Affairs (11,000 words).
- In May 2010 I created and ran a workshop on behalf of Wellington ICT for community organisations: First, Fast, Effective Text: writing for Web Readers.
- For NZ Herald, Webstock 2010 interview with Adam Greenfield: Cheap as chips — your networked chair.
- For NZ Herald, Webstock 2010 Shelley Bernstein session report: Amplifying the community’s voice.
- Book: WordPress 2 Visual QuickStart Guide, Peachpit Press, July 2006, co-authored with Maria Langer.
- Book, ebook and website: Connect your community — A guide for community groups, iwi groups, and not-for-profit organisations
Exceptional Adult Educator of the Year
In 2003 I was selected as an Exceptional Adult Educator of the Year as part of a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) initiative.
That initiative was Adult Learner’s Week, designed to celebrate the efforts, achievements and contributions of adult learners, educators and providers, and to promote the importance of adult learning to the wider community.
I enjoy watching, reading and listening to material about sci-fi, science and technology. My Mac computer, iPad and iPhone feature large in my life. I walk with my dogs. I love learning. I try to play my part in looking after our planet.
My wonderful partner Deb and I wrangle 3 cats and 2 dogs, with some success.
To discuss how I can help you, email me at email@example.com. If pre-arranged I can video chat with Skype.