- Book: WordPress 2: Visual Quickstart Guide with Maria Langer, Peachpit Press, 2006.
- Kindle ebooks, 2012: 22 Tempting Timesavers for Mac Users & Sizzling Safari Tips for Mac Users.
- KnowIT — my blog (ongoing) . I’ve been blogging since around 2000, though things moved around a bit before settling here. As of January 2013 there are around 3,000 posts.
- August 2014: I wrote a STRmix™ technology case study for Kiwi Innovation Network Limited — STRmix™ software helps untangle DNA that has been mixed together at a crime scene to help identify those who perpetrated the crime.
- Tech Universe — a daily column (weekdays) for the NZ Herald Online, from 08 June 2010 to 08 August 2014.
- March 2014: article for the magazine of the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand: SPANZ Magazine Autumn 2014, Pp8 & 9.
- Run Spot Run — a website for Wellington dog owners with reviews of off-leash areas and other useful information.
- 1999 to May 2013: MacTips — one, sometimes 2, new Tips each week for users of Apple products. In June 2009 I added a YouTube channel too. Most, but not all, Tips include a video. In May 2013 I sold MacTips and all items since then are written by others.
December 2012, writer on: Design your Own Website online course from Pearson Love to Learn:
- Inspired by ‘The Non-Designer’s Web Book’ by Robin Williams, renowned expert, best-selling and award-winning author for Peachpit, leading technology publisher and our course partner.
- Benefit from the knowledge of published website trainer Miraz Jordan who has helped to make the course and created demos in the example web tool, WordPress.
- CommunityNet Panui. — I wrote 2 articles per month for community organisations about the Internet from October 2000 to November 2011.
- July 2011: I wrote 10 new pages of content for the Moving to New Zealand section of the ANZ website. The brief included copy points and key messages to be conveyed; keywords, and links to be included.
- Informit interviews
- August 2010: I wrote Developing a Website for a Department of Internal Affairs publication (35,000 words, published early 2011).
- July 2010: I rewrote Chapter 12 of the Community Resource Kit, for Department of Internal Affairs (11,000 words, published early 2011).
- For NZ Herald
- Webstock 2010 interview with Adam Greenfield: Cheap as chips — your networked chair.
- Webstock 2010 Scott Thomas session report: Branding a President — the art of ‘gut feeling’ design.
- Webstock 2010 Shelley Bernstein session report: Amplifying the community’s voice.
- Webstock 2010 Eric Ries session report: Start out with a ridiculous idea.
- Customizing WordPress: series of 16 articles at Peachpit, 2008.
- Book, ebook and website Webguide: Connect your community — A guide for community groups, iwi groups, and not-for-profit organisations, 2006. ISBN 9780473116262. (The site has become defunct since it was passed to new caretakers.)
- Groupings — the Webguide blog (2007 & 2008, since handed on to a new author and the website seems to have died).
- KnowIT ebook: How to backup your WordPress website, 2009.
- KnowIT ebook: How WordPress is put together, 2009.
- Help files for an internal web application at CreativeNZ — 30,000 words in total, 2008. This was a major piece of work that involved stepping through a secure online application, testing different scenarios and creating Help text in plain language. The finished Help files totalled more than 30,000 words and represented several hundred hours work spread over many months.
- Extensive rewrites of web text for Te Puni Kōkiri, 2008.
- NZAID, 2005 — I was contracted to design a format for the Programme pages on the NZAID website and then to write the text. This was a major writing job for which I interviewed managers, researched and then wrote plain language text. The pages have since been edited and updated considerably by others.
- Good Practice Funding helps public servants follow good process in funding community, voluntary and Maori organisations. I rewrote materials originally supplied for print. The site has surely been updated and rewritten since my work in around 2005.
- Just Next Door is a resource intended for secondary school Geography students. I carried out major editing on one of the drafts in around 2005.
- Macguide magazine, 2005–2007 — I contributed regular Newbies Guide and PowerUp articles. See the full list of articles.
- Wise-Women Tutorials:
- Digital Web Magazine:
- About This Particular Mac, February 2006 to May 2007:
- ATPM 12.02 — Pod People: Proud to be a Pod Person.
- ATPM 12.03 — Review: Path Finder 4.0.2.
- ATPM 12.07 — Web Accessibility: The Clayton’s Web.
- ATPM 12.09 — Web Accessibility: RapidWeaver: A Useful Tool in Need of Sharpening.
- ATPM 12.10 — Web Accessibility: Nvu: Impressive and Powerful.
- ATPM 12.11 — Web Accessibility: PageSpinner 4.6.3: Quirky and Erratic.
- ATPM 12.12 — Web Accessibility: SeaMonkey 1.0.6.
- ATPM 13.03 — Web Accessibility: The Flip Side of the Coin.
- ATPM 13.04 — Web Accessibility: What Browsers Can Do.
- ATPM 13.05 — Review: Digital Photography Expert Techniques, Second Edition.
- ATPM 13.05 — Web Accessibility: What Browsers Can Do, Part 2.
- Rewrote Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade materials into Plain English (Partnerships for International Development Fund booklets, approx 1998).
- I wrote three of the modules in the first ARLA Literacy Tutor Training Kit published in 1995: Social and Political Context [of Adult Literacy] , Te Tiriti o Waitangi, Adult Learning.
Training and Speaking
In 2003 I received the UNESCO Adult Educator of the Year award for my work with adult students at the Wellington Community Education Centre.
I’ve taught more individuals, courses and workshops than I can possibly remember or list, but here are some recent items.
- March 2014 ongoing: Wellington region trainer for the Kitomba software used by many beauty and hair salons for bookings, product management and sales and client payments.
- August 2015, Whitireia Community Polytechnic Publishing Course: 5 sessions on HTML & CSS. Also 2 sessions on WordPress.
- August 2014, Whitireia Community Polytechnic Publishing Course: 5 sessions on HTML & CSS.
- April 2014, Whitireia Community Polytechnic Publishing Course: 2 sessions on WordPress.
- August 2013, Whitireia Community Polytechnic Publishing Course: 5 sessions on HTML & CSS.
- Workshop for REAP Conference, March 2013:
Tools Not Toyssession about using iPads.
- August 2012, Whitireia Community Polytechnic Publishing Course: 5 sessions on HTML & CSS.
- Workshop for REAP Conference, May 2011: lightning roundup of current tech; overview of iPad 2.
- Workshop on behalf of Wellington ICT for community organisations, Wellington, April 2011: FFS: write well for the web!.
- Presentation on behalf of Wellington ICT for community organisations, Wellington, April 2011: Is it tomorrow already?
- CreativeTech, 2010 — I presented a session called Fifty Mac Tips.
- Wellington Regional Council, 2010 — I ran a series of customised training courses for Wellington Regional Council, teaching community organisations and taxi operators how to work with the new Snapper-based Total Mobility Card.
- Workshop on behalf of Wellington ICT for community organisations, Wellington, May 2010: First, Fast, Effective Text: writing for Web Readers
- Panelist for Bloggers predict 2010 and Bloggers predict 2009
- WordCamp New Zealand 2009: presented a session on From There to here: Building Communities with WordPress
- University of Hawai’i at Manoa Pacific New Media Outreach program, 2008 — I created and taught 3 courses over a weekend in Honolulu about WordPress: WordPress Explorer, WordPress Adventurer, WordPress Intrepid.
- Engage Your Community conferences, 2008 and 2009 — I was the Keynote speaker at 4 Mini conferences in Hamilton, Wellington and Rotorua. I also presented workshops at each.
- Mac eXpo, 2004 in Auckland, New Zealand — I presented a session for Mac users.
- 19–23 February 2001: Analysis and Report Writing course for the government department of Lands, Survey and Environment in Samoa.
- 10–14 July 2000: Analysis & Report Writing course for government officials in Samoa. The course included: how to write in plain accurate English, how to design relevant formats, how to analyse data and make strategic recommendations, practice using word-processing and spreadsheet applications in relevant ways, planning how to implement what was learnt.
- 22–26 March 1999: Business Writing Skills Training Course for Samoa PSC & Treasury staff. The course included: letters, memos, reports, writing more to the point, more directly, more clearly, using active voice rather than passive, eliminating redundancies, tailoring messages to the readers, Plain English in a business setting.
- April 1999: Community Online Strategy — 2-day Internet Training for Trainers.
- Victoria University of Wellington Centre for Continuing Education, November 2001: The Web for Everyone: Accessible Web design (with Robyn Hunt, Accease)
- Wellington Community Education Centre — I taught numerous adult education classes for around 7 years. Topics included:
- Computer Confidence for Women
- Introduction to Computing
December 2011 to April 2016: Customer Support for the A-List Blogging Masterclass: I looked after membership matters and subscriptions and handled emails. I also provided general advice to the owner, especially on processes and procedures.
- Client website: Chris Wood.
- 2011: implement design for Wellington Xiamen Association website.
- Client website: Evaluation Works.
- Client website: Dianne Hendey (no longer being updated).
I was part of the founding organising group for Webstock 2006 and 2008.
For around 6 years I was the Web Maestro for Communitynet Aotearoa.
In the mid-90s I provided helpdesk support to Mac users for Actrix networks.
From around 1984 to 1994 I worked variously for the Adult Reading and Learning Assistance Federation (ARLA, now Literacy Aotearoa) in various roles, the Porirua Language Project as ARLA Co-ordinator and tutor trainer, and the National Resource Centre for Adult Education and Community Learning as Co-ordinator.
From around 1977 to 1984 I taught German, English and Computer Studies to adolescents at Ashburton College.
In 1976 and 1981 I travelled and lived overseas in Düsseldorf, Germany and Edinburgh, Scotland.