Helpdesk phonecalls and emails this week from my clients:
- Problem: I had a problem synching my Visor so I threw out some files. Now it doesn’t work. Solution: Try to locate the User files; remove them to a disc; reinstall the application; synch. Note: after lots of help with finding files, finding the installer at Handspring’s website etc this seems to have been a success.
- Problem: I’m writing an assignment. I’ve been backing up as I go along but eventually trashed my good file which contains an hour’s work not backed up. Can I get it back at no cost? Solution: Do you have Norton Utilities or some other similar software? Then no, not without paying for someone else to try to recover the file.
- Problem: I sent a Word vX file to a colleague and she can’t open it on her Windows machine. Solution: Make sure you add the .doc extension, keep the filename brief, make sure your email software is correctly set. Try another email software. Note: this client wasn’t using Eudora but Apple’s Mail program.
- Problem: My cursor in Word vX has gone funny and strange things are happening. Solution: Restart the computer.
- Problem: I worked on a Word document in vX, transferred it to another machine with Word 98 and did more work then wanted to bring it back to the original machine. Word won’t open it. Solution: Add the correct file extension.
- Question: Do you know of anyone who would like to buy a mini-hifi system? Answer: No.