Catching up: Rachel McAlpine’s QWiC: Quality Web Content Issue #94, 17 June 2003: Six tests for great web content. Do these quick tests on every web page you write or edit. Use the tests for quality control.
- The 3second test (Do I get the gist of this page after looking at it for 3 seconds, and without scrolling?)
- The ID test (Is it obvious whose site this is, and where the owners are located?)
- The accessibility test (Can everyone get the essential information regardless of their ability, computer, modem, browser or preferences?)
- The “so what?” test (Are you talking to me? Why should I care? And is it obvious what I’m supposed to do next?)
- The “yeah, right!” test (Can I trust you? How smart are you? How old is this information?)
- The serenity test (Does the page look spacious, calm and orderly? Does its very appearance make me feel confident and calm?)
Hmmm. At the very least I need to update this page to answer Question #2.