It’s been a trying month, with one thing and another and I want to break out and loosen up my thinking and my attitudes. I’ve decided to try something new and different each day. They will be small things and not permanent — I’m just looking for brief, free things which will help me change my mindset; a new way of looking at the world.
A couple of days ago I grabbed a photo from my library and applied some fun Photoshop filters, distorting the picture. Last night I fired up Garageband and created an up-tempo track with a bazillion instruments and loops. That was actually very effective after an extremely grumpy day. Other thoughts I’ve had:
- watch something from a cable channel I would normally skip right past, such as sports, shopping, the religious channel
- read a blog or Web site on a topic far from my experience, like, I don’t know… breeding minks, maybe
- learn a bit of Klingon or some African language
- try out a cafe I’ve never been to
- wear a clothing item I haven’t worn for a few years
Tomorrow I head off to Christchurch for a couple of days to help a long-standing friend celebrate her 50th and to visit my mum who suffered brain damage a few years ago and now lives permanently in London in the 1940’s. That should offer some new things. Any other thoughts welcome.