We’ve had a lot of warm dry weather lately: an early summer.
Some friends and I went up the hill in plenty of time to get a good spot for watching the fireworks over the harbour. Some years I don’t bother; other years I’ve only ever managed a partial view. This year we had a great spot and enjoyed looking at the crescent moon and Venus while waiting for the show to start.
What wasn’t fun was the idiots at the Mt Victoria Lookout who were busy shooting fireworks over our heads. And then, 5 minutes before the show was due to start, they managed to set the gorse on the hillside on fire.
We felt it was prudent to relocate, so after eventually connecting to 111 to call for the fire engines we moved to a spot from which we could more readily leave if the fire took hold or the wind came up.
I was not really surprised that it took quite a while for the emergency call to be answered. Guy Fawkes night probably routinely blocks the switchboard with calls to fires. I’d hate to be having a heart attack or other emergency at such a time.
And once the fire engines did arrive they couldn’t get near the fire anyway, as cars were blocking the roads. As we left after the show the fire engines were starting to find a way towards what turned out to be multiple fires at the top of the hill. It was just lucky tonight that the wind from earlier in the day had died away.
I am now more convinced than ever that fireworks should be restricted to licensed practitioners.