To post this blog entry I visited the MarsEdit 2 What’s New page, selected some text and clicked on my MarsEdit bookmarklet in the browser. MarsEdit came to the front (because I always have it open), with a new Post window open that contained the selected text.
After a bit of editing, I selected some categories, added some tags and clicked the Send to Weblog button in the toolbar. Because that’s what MarsEdit does — it’s a wonderful piece of software that handles most of your blogging needs. And today it’s reached version 2.1, with some excellent new features:
What’s New In MarsEdit?
- Search Your Drafts and Entries
- Native Tags Support
- Improved Web Preview
- Save Drafts To Server
Edit with BBEdit — if you wish
Actually, sometimes, if I have some heavy editing to do, I prefer to edit a post in BBEdit, where I have a whole lot of Applescripts set up. But MarsEdit (ME) makes this easy.
First I went to the ME preferences and set BBEdit as my ‘Edit with’ editor. I only had to do that once, months or maybe years ago. Now, to edit a post in BBEdit I have the post open in its ME window and press Command J. The post opens in a temporary BBEdit window.
The Save trick
When I’ve finished working in BBEdit — and here’s the trick — I close the window and save the changes. I’m not big on reading manuals so it took me a while to discover that trick and I was nervous about it for the longest time. The BBEdit window closes, and the edited post zips back to the ME window ready for the next action.
In the past Save for me has always meant ‘Save to the disc’, but in this situation it means ‘Save to MarsEdit’.
I’m one of the beta testers for MarsEdit (it’s my great privilege to be listed right there in the credits in the About box). One of the fabulous things about MarsEdit is the way the developer, Daniel Jalkut, listens to the users of the software and incorporates sensible responses to our feedback.
We wanted to save drafts on the server, not just on the computer we were writing on. There it is.
We complained about the Preview window misbehaving for long posts. Preview window fixed.
We wanted to be able to find older posts within ME. There it is.
Before this release Daniel was looking for show-stopper bugs. I struck one and fired off a crash log. Daniel acknowledged it in the usual way. But then later on he wrote me a whole separate Thankyou email as he was able to identify the weird bug I’d encountered. It’s a small personal touch that took me somewhat aback — in the best possible way. Enough, in fact, that I’m mentioning it here.
What a guy! What a piece of software!