Version 2.9 of WordPress was released the other day. [And not long after that, version 2.9.1.] Here’s how to update your WordPress website.
- Clean up the database:
- Go to the
Edit Commentssection of your blog’s Dashboard and mark any spam comments as spam.
- Check the list of Spam comments for any that are in fact genuine and retrieve them.
- Delete the spam comments so they’re not clogging up the database.
- If you use anti-spam plugins such as Spam Karma clean out any accumulated logs.
- Go to the
- Back up the database, uploads, theme, config, and other files. 1
- Check for updates to the theme you use, and install as required.
- Use the auto-update function to check for updates to plugins you use and apply as required.
- Use the auto-update function to update the WordPress files.
- Visit your blog’s Dashboard again. If you see a notice about upgrading the database, follow the on-screen instructions. Recent versions of the upgrade handle this step for you.
- View your blog as a visitor would see it. Check for problems and unpleasant surprises. If something seems weird start your troubleshooting by disabling plugins.
1 For full instructions on How to backup your WordPress website see KnowIt Books.