One year, when I was very much younger and still lived with my parents, I had a thoroughly miserable Christmas Day. I didn’t know then that I was highly allergic to pine trees, and guess what was in the corner of the lounge!
I took some kind of antihistamine tablet, and they were guaranteed in those days to make you feel miserable. But even with the drowsiness, dry mouth and generally yucky feeling the antihistamine produced, I was still sneezing and sniffling and bunged up.
One downside of living in New Zealand is the huge number of pine trees and now I manage my hayfever with a nasal spray that prevents the cells in the nose from releasing chemicals that trigger the allergic response to allergens such as pollens.
I now use the spray all year round. In the past I’ve had times where I thought it was safe to stop for a while and then would wonder why my brain was in a fog and I was tired and generally blah.
Somehow each time it would be a revelation to me that these symptoms were an allergic reaction.
And now it seems this is something I am simply incapable of learning. Sigh. I’m staying at our bach while work is being done, and the landscape is yellow. All the lupins are in bloom, all over the hills and paddocks round about.
Yesterday I had severe fuzzy brain and today started keeping a diary of foods, sleep and other possible factors. I ate something different for breakfast, in case the milk in my daily porridge was causing the problem. Then I took the dogs for a walk and noticed the fuzz starting.
Finally I put the clues together and came up with the obvious: I’m allergic to lupins and my particular hayfever spray is ineffective against it.
Now I’m thinking this may be something to discuss with my doctor next time I see her. At least the lupins are in bloom only for a few weeks, but it may be time to reassess allergies in general.